Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Time travel of the mind

At this time last year, I was (fill in the blank).

Am I the only person who thinks like this? I seem to have this recurring string of thoughts at least once a day. At this time last year, I was climbing a mountain in Austria. At this time last year, I was running around a castle in Wales. At this time last year, I was lying on a beach in Greece, eating gyros.

My mind is a time machine, transporting me back to good memories, good friends and adventures not too long gone.

I take comfort that while I can't physically be everywhere at once, in my mind, I am. I'm back in the Austrians' flat, laughing over the way they say "make a picture" instead of "take a picture." I'm in Holland, trudging through the mud as if my life depended on it, because in fact, it does. I'm sitting around with Sofia (English) and Sarah (Welsh) as we say words like "tomato" and "stupid" to hear them in our respective accents. I'm having hair wars with Clara as we're on the train to Tenby.

As time passes, I'm sad that these thoughts now begin with "Two years ago, I was..." And soon it will be three and four years. The flux capicitor of my mind is getting weaker and the delorean needs more plutonium.

And then it hit me...
The great thing about time travel of the mind is, that while I'm back in the past, I'm still making memories in the present. Like meeting my nephew for the first time after being away from home for a year. Floating down the river with friends, and after five hours, learning we're only halfway done. Making a trip to the airport to pick up one person an adventure requiring a car full of people. Seeing friends get married. Strangers too, now that I think of it.
What I guess I'm really trying to say is, as great as the past was, the present is pretty terrific and the future doesn't look too bad either.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

At this time last year, I was (in chicago freezing cold).


thank God He knows better and He called me back to Cali ;)

christie said...

i love that you're writing again!
by this time next year, i hope to write in my blog that i hung out with my friend megan during a women's conference in san francisco. we watched the seals make oaf-oaf noises as we enjoyed our ben and jerry's ice cream by the pier.

i like the sound of that.
miss you soooo much!
<3 u!