Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Not nice rice

Apparently it's time I faced the facts, I can't cook rice.

I've tried, and failed, several times now and I'm thinking of tossing out the rice cooker.

My first two attempts were with said rice cooker. Should be easy enough right? You just flip the switch and the rice cooks and lets you know when it's done. Well, the cooker gives up too quickly and I'm left with hard, half-cooked grains that get stuck between my teeth.

Tonight I thought, you know what? No need for the rice cooker, I'll just cook it in a pot on the stove. I followed the directions to the T. Ten minutes in, my rice started burning. But, I let it cook for the 50 minutes required by the packaging, and guess what? I was left with hard, over-cooked grains that got stuck between my teeth.

There must be a secret to cooking rice. Maybe someday I'll figure it.

If my teeth don't fall out first.

No comments: