Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sharks just want to be friends?

Shark Week is over right?
Somebody should tell the sharks.

The ferocious and finned have made several headlines lately. Sharks have been spotted up and down the California coast this week. But there's one headline in particular that has caught my attention:

"Kayaker knocked off boat, comes face to face with great white".

Fisherman Adam Coca was going for a casual paddle in Pigeon Point when a great white decided his kayak would be a tasty snack. Coca escaped unharmed, but my advice? He's gonna need a bigger boat.

What would I do in this situation? If I was paddling along and Jaws knocked me in the water and proceeded to dismantle my boat, something tells me I would panic. Then I would probably play possum and wait to be eaten. I am not going to kid myself, I couldn't outswim a shark. Heck, I couldn't outswim a goldfish.
But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the shark doesn't want to eat me, sweet as I am. If I have learned anything thing from watching Shark Week all these years, it's that sharks aren't maneaters. So why was it attacking a kayak? Trying to get the yacht out of its teeth? Sounds a little fishy to me.
I think I will just avoid sharks until we can get this situation sorted out.

No comments: