Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Goggles and profound thoughts

While at the lake last week, I was savoring the hot day and the cool water. I swam a few laps, read a book, and thought about writing this blog.

There weren't a lot of people at the lake. But there was a large family. (Not large in size, large in number.) Among them were two little girls, who I'm pretty sure were sisters.

Well, one sister was using a pair of goggles and the other was not so patiently waiting to use them.

Their mom told Sister One she had five more minutes. And instead of using those five minutes, she was just begging for more time.

"Mommy! Twenty more minutes! Ten more minutes!"

All to no avail. And while Sister Two nagged her and laughed at her, she just cried and pouted, instead of using her precious five minutes.

I realized then that I must be getting older or more like my mother, because I thought, "You're wasting your time. Just enjoy them while you can."

And then a more profound thought hit me.

How many people in life are always asking for more, and while doing that, are wasting the time they have with what's right in front of them?

More money, more time, more stuff, some things are just never enough.

I decided right then to make a conscious effort to make the best of whatever situation I'm in.

Because when time's up, I don't want to be wishing for those five minutes with the goggles.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Meg,
Great observation. Your life is happening right in front of you. Right now. Don't wait till you "arrive" to start living. Don't wait for what you're "going to be"

Catherine said...

I love it, Megan! That's a pretty awesome epiphany. I think you're so right.

Patricia said...

oh but swimming with goggles make it so much more fun ;) haha. *joke*