Monday, December 8, 2008

Word dreams

I can't remember what I dreamt about last night. All I know is that when I woke up, the word "pontificate," was all I could remember.

I didn't even know I knew that word, or if it even was a word, but I had a feeling of what it meant.

Pontificate stayed on my mind all day, and I just looked it up, and I was right:

Main Entry:
2pon·tif·i·cate
Pronunciation:
\pän-ˈti-fə-ˌkāt\
Function:
intransitive verb 2: to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way

(courtesy Merriam-Webster.com)

Who dreams about words? It was a first for me. But after careful thought, I traced the word back to all of the "Cheers" reruns I watched yesterday. "Pontificate" must have come out of Diane Chambers' mouth during her one of many tangents. When she was pontificating, if you will.

And then it hit me...

I watched waaay too many "Cheers" episodes yesterday.

No comments: