Thursday, January 1, 2009

New year, new me

I try not to do anything too big for New Year's Eve and I'll tell you why.

There's so much hype and build up to the last night of the year and I have found that they year's I've tried to make a big to do of it, I've winded up disappointed.

So like the last few years, I approached this eve with a laid back, I'll do whatever attitude and had a great time with the great friends I've made this year.

Just before the clock on the microwave struck midnight, the few of us that lasted went around to share our New Year's resolutions. Up until that point I hadn't given it up much thought. I did have one or two ideas, but they weren't ones I was particularly committed to.

I wish I had given it more thought and said something that if I followed through would change my life, but why set myself up like that?

Well, fourteen hours later, I've given it some more thought and have come up with several things to accomplish in the New Year and I'll try to give a little insight into why I've chosen them.


1) Try vegetarianism
(Emphasis on the word try.) On Christmas Eve, I was at a friend of my parents' house and while most of us were at the table playing games, some of the men where in the living room were watching a hunting channel. (I don't know if there actually is a hunting channel, but it was all hunting shows, so I'm going to call it that.) Anyway, they guys on the show were shooting deer, snakes, boars, etc., and, maybe because it was Christmas, I felt bad. I thought about this on the way home (I do most of my deep thinking in the car) but reminded myself that I eat chickens and cows and pigs and boy are they delicious! But anyway, the point is I'm going to try to go without meat. I may eat chicken from time to time, so if you see me with a drumstick in hand, don't hold it against me.

2) Snowboarding
This wasn't a New Year's resolution until my friend Vanessa gave me her snowboard this morning. But a few months ago I decided I wanted to snowboard this winter and she said she had a board she didn't use. And Alisha has boots I can have, so I'm pretty much set, just point me in the direction of the snow!

3) Confidence
I'm not sure that many people know this about me, but I have a major fear of rejection (I just spelled fear f-e-e-r, wow. Glad I caught that.) So I've decided that I'm going to put myself out there, especially with my writing (which also means I need to really focus on my writing) and maybe with a few other things too. I have to stop waiting for life to drop things in my lap and do something about the things I want. Or else I will live in Copperopolis forever!!!!!

Which brings me to my last resolution:

4) Move out of Copperopolis!

3 comments:

Gloria said...

Meg-
It's me, Gloria, from High School. I was just checking out your myspace and found that you had a blog, so here I am.
I wanted to let you know that if your really truly are interested in snowboarding, I can teach you! Last I remember you lived in the So Cal area. Well lets get together and head to the mountain!
What do you say?

Gloria said...

Okay I just finished reading your post and realized your back in Copper, what are you thinking?? No offense to those who live there, I use to, and then I got the heck out of there.
Well it might be a little harder to get together since your way up there, but the invitation still stands if you ever want to meet in Mammoth. I think it would be about half way.

Jen May said...

the lifestyle of a vegetarian can be a fun challenge. i did that for a year back in college. it was totally doable! and maybe i can help with your resolution to move somewhere else :)