Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And the momeraths outgrabe...

It was a Cheshire Cat moon tonight. Driving home, I saw the lunar slice grinning at me and it reminded me of the times my sister and I were curled up in the back seat of my parents' car on the way to the drive-in movies.

We'd wear our pajamas and my mom would build a little bird's nest for us, with the back seat of the hatchback Sprint folded down. On the drive, Erin and I would point at the moon and laugh how it was following us.

It followed me again tonight. It stood out in the sky the entire way home, managing to hover above the hills and keep its pearly whites on me.

The Cheshire Cat moon got me thinking. Besides the trip down memory lane, it had me looking ahead. If I talked to this troublesome cat, I imagine the conversation probably would have gone like something this:

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where –" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"– so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

(from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

(Outgrabe (past tense; present tense outgribe) – Something between bellowing and whistling, with a kind of sneeze in the middle. -- From Wikipedia)

2 comments:

Patricia said...

LOL don't follow that cat...

he's going to get u into a whole heap of trouble!

Jen May said...

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"Meow" said the Cat.
"I don't much care where –" said Alice.
"Meow," said the Cat.
"– so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Yeowl!" said the Cat.

:)