Sunday, November 2, 2008

Gym vs. Jim

"I have a gym membership."

I can say this because I pay $69 a month so that I can, thus giving off the impression that I go to the gym.

And I do. Sometimes. Not as often as I should. My gym bag is always packed and ready in the back of my car so that if at any moment I feel inspired, there's nothing to stop me.

This last week, however, I did not feel inspired, not even once. My bag sat in the back seat and every day after work I easily convinced myself I had something more important to do, like to go Starbucks or find a Halloween costume.

There's a mug on my desk at work that reads, "I (heart) Jim." Inside the red heart is a picture of Jim from "The Office" aka John Krasinski. It was a gift from Catherine who bought it from Target for a dollar. It's the greatest mug ever.

Imagine if that mug read "I (heart) Gym." I wouldn't be able to use it because it would be a lie. I do not (heart) the gym. When I do go, I'm happy that I did, the endorphins kick in and I feel accomplished. It's just the process of getting there that's the problem.

And then it hit me...

If Jim were at the gym, they couldn't keep me from that place.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

i think I would even go to the gym if jim were there...but i suppose i need a membership first...and should probably be in the same country.