Sunday, November 16, 2008

Me and my big mouth

Sometimes I think I shouldn't be allowed to talk to people. For my own benefit really.

To fully explain the reason behind this hypothesis, I need to go back to Halloween. I had a busy Halloween weekend, attending several parties and having a grand ol' time. Of course, pictures were taken and posted on Facebook, Myspace and who knows where else on the wide Web.

One such picture that found its way onto the aforementioned sites was one that was much less than flattering. It was downright awful. I was dancing, obviously having a great time, but apparently at the exact moment my "friend's" finger pressed down on the button, the expression on my face was one that should not have been captured.

When said picture was brought to my attention and the realization that everyone I knew in the world (literally) had access to it set in, I began damage control. And as soon as possible had my friend who so kindly posted it, so kindly de-post it.

Phew. All was clear. Now everyone I knew could go back to believing I only take beautiful pictures and never look ridiculous. It was a great feeling.

However, it still must have been lingering in my mind.

The other day, I ran into a guy that I had a crush on from age 12 to 20 and even now when I see him am reduced to my 15-year-old self. (It's pretty ridiculous, but true.) So I saw him, and feeling upbeat and confident went over to say hello. We chit-chatted for a few moments and to my horror the words "So I saw pictures of you from Halloween..." came out of his mouth.

Without thinking, I reply, "Oh the horrible one so-and-so posted?" And when it didn't seem to register with him, I didn't just drop it. Oh no, that would be too easy. I proceeded to re-enact the way my eyes drooped, lips curled and the slight hunch of my body.

"Uh no, I didn't see those ones," he said.

I'm sure the color rushed to my cheeks as I realized what I'd successfully "hidden" from the world, had been brought back and what's worse, at my own hand, and what's even worse, to one of the last people I'd want to know about it. And he didn't even get the picture, he got the live show.

You've done it again Megan. The hole in the ground is open, just jump in.

Turns out, he wanted to compliment my costume, which of course had been featured in other less terrible pictures that I had allowed to remain in cyber space.

The conversation ended quickly after that, because honestly, how could I recover?

As I walked away, I left my pride on the ground where it had fallen. I couldn't help but laugh at myself and the vanity that had gotten me in to trouble.

And then it hit me...

SomeOne was teaching me a lesson. And He has a great sense of humor.

1 comment:

Jen May said...

Yikes! Glad it all worked out :D