Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Asparagus!

I love asparagus. The green spears have recently become my favorite vegetable. And apparently, I'm not alone.

The lovely city of Stockton has an annual Asparagus Festival. And when my friend Jenny invited me to meet her there, I jumped right on board.
I drove to Stockton on Sunday, not really sure what to expect. Something like a farmers market, maybe. But what was there was much bigger than what I expected.

Jenny and I got in line to pay our admission. Then we waited in line to buy tickets so that we could use those tickets to purchase fried asparagus and an aspara-margarita. Then we waited in line so we could show our IDs so that they would give us said aspara-margarita. There was a lot of planning involved in getting things done at the Asparagus Festival.

It wasn't only an asparagus fest, but also a mini-reunion of my dormmates from my Sac State days. It was good to see some familiar faces and reminisce about times that were waaay too long ago.

One of the highlights was seeing what asparagus looks like if it is allowed to grow. (This is how I know I'm getting old.) It's actually a pretty plant. And I admit I was tempted to take a bite out of the tree-like plant to see what it tasted like.

The other highlight of the day was Jenny and my's paddle boat adventure. We paid our five dollars and waited in line to paddle around in brown water. Jenny made some new friends while we were in line and while I pretended she wasn't one of mine.

We had our fried asparagus, which we wisely decided to share and couldn't even finish it. I guess there actually is too much of a good thing.

By the end of the day, I had seen my lifetime's worth of asparagus and had gotten a little fried myself (by the sun).
As far as friends and asparagus goes, I'd say it was a pretty good day.

1 comment:

Jen May said...

hah. very cool. i like asparagus too and would try the margarita. i'm jealous about the paddling. i always want to do that.